10. Energy and Utilities
The image below shows some of the main challenges in the energy and utilities industry.
Applications of big data in the energy and utilities industry
Smart meter readers allow data to be collected almost every 15 minutes as opposed to once a day with the old meter readers. This granular data is being used to analyze consumption of utilities better which allows for improved customer feedback and better control of utilities use.
In utility companies the use of big data also allows for better asset and workforce management which is useful for recognizing errors and correcting them as soon as possible before complete failure is experienced.
Big Data Providers in this industry include: Alstom Siemens ABB and Cloudera
Having gone through 10 industry verticals including how big data plays a role in these industries, here are a few key takeaways:
- There is substantial real spending around big data
- To capitalize on big data opportunities, you need to:
- Familiarize yourself with and understand industry-specific challenges
- Understand or know the data characteristics of each industry
- Understand where spending is occurring
- Match market needs with your own capabilities and solutions
- Vertical industry expertise is key to utilizing big data effectively and efficiently
If there's anything you'd like to add, explore, or know, do feel free to comment below.
About the Author
Maryanne Gaitho holds a degree in Sociology and writes on a wide range of topics ranging from technology to business and social issues. She has a background in IT and Relationship Management having worked for a multi-national mobile manufacturer and a multi-national bank respectively and has been involved in several high impact social projects through NGOs. Some of the topics she has written about and that have been published include; big data, project management, online Marketing and Salesforce.BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS
- << Prev